Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Taking Back Control

We're already three weeks into the new year.  I stopped making resolutions long ago. Goal setting on the other hand has been very important to me over the years.  It's been a little over two years since my career life dramatically changed due to this recession and it hasn't been the same since, although I emerged a changed individual.

You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive...I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

image from www.TheKingCenter.org
Where in years past my goals have been focused on what I perceived would make me happy - financial security - this economy & the circumstances that followed has made me place emphasis elsewhere.  Financial security is still very elusive for most & I don't foresee it truly being within our grasp for a few more years to come.  The choice I made was to shift my energy inward - onto anything & everything entirely within my control.

"We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline." 
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Building on achievements in a tough 2010 are the building blocks for my 2011 goals.  How many times do we say to ourselves, "I'm going to work to build better me?" It's not all about the physical, although a more fit body contributes to a more positive thinking mind.  I'm talking about traditional & non-traditional learning opportunities.  Continuing education is a major key to ongoing happiness & future successes. As we age, learning, whether in a classroom setting or not,  broadens your perspective, helps you problem solve more effectively & ultimately keeps your mind active & healthy.


A couple of my goals for 2010 were completed at the University of St. Thomas, my alma mater, though the Opus College of Business.  I took the leap with an Internet Essentials class & once I got the bug, I completed a Mini Masters of Medical Technology Management.

For 2011, I have another list of related courses to fit into my busy schedule. My non-traditional learning comes via my massive reading list, which continues to grow by the day.

 
Two new books, which I've pre-ordered & am most excited to read are: 


and
aka @TheBrandBuilder



Goal setting & taking back control of one's life seems to be a common theme among people in my circle of influence.  The best part of making realizations that you can take leaps & bounds towards improving your work or other personal situation is the high that you get knowing that you can move the needle & make a huge difference in the quality of your future. 

Being off of work for the 1st time ever on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so many people were reflective of the sacrifices & struggles that finally allowed both African Americans, and to an extent - women, to have freedoms, opportunities and dreams never before believed possible. We must continually look forward to a better future, while not dwelling on the bumps & hurdles once thrust into our way in the past. Our responsibility is to continue fanning the fire that fuels the legacy that Martin Luther King Jr. left for us - to make strides to change & improve ourselves & our communities... ultimately for our children.

  
If you liked this post, you might also enjoy: My Lens Into The First Ever MN Blogger Conference

No comments: