Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Trying Hard to "Read"

Thanks to a March birthday, Munchkin is learning about Dr. Seuss & his books all month long. We went to see "The Lorax" this past weekend as a family. Munchkin & I had seen previews at one of the last movies we went to & were excited when we heard it was finally coming out. A realtor friend was hosting a private showing, so we jumped on the opportunity to see it for free.

Munchkin asked me to find Green Eggs & Ham for him to read after dinner. I have a huge Dr. Seuss collection from my childhood. Munchkin noticed the copyright date in this particular book was 1960.  Older than I am! Apparently they have read this book lately in preschool, because he has quite a bit of it memorized, while some of the sight words, he is starting to recognize & "read."
 First he asked how to spell "Green Eggs & Ham", then proceeded to write it on the top of his paper. Then he decided he wanted to write the words from the book onto his piece of paper & give it to a friend at school who loves "Green Eggs & Ham."
After I convinced Munchkin that it was quite a long book to try & write, he decided on just the last page of the book, where he finally realizes he likes "Green Eggs & Ham".  
"I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Sam-I-am!"
It seems like not so long ago he wasn't quite as eager to try to figure out the words on the page & now he's ready to write them & almost read them. These are the memories I'll look back on so fondly, wondering how & when this child of mine started to grow & change so quickly.

If you liked this post, you might also enjoy: Thoughtful Thursday - Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

No comments: