Friday, February 19, 2010

Why write a blog now?

When I was first laid off, I read an article that suggested that people could be so much more than their resume. That struck a cord with me when I realized how closely my own sense of self worth was tied directly to my jobs & what I had been able to accomplish in my career over the past 20 years.

My stack of partially read books has grown over the past few months, so I intend to plow through them & share my learnings, along with a few personal aha moments along the way. I’m almost through “U R a Brand – How Smart People Brand Themselves for Business Success” by Catherine Kaputa. For example, Catherine reminds her readers that “When situations change, you must change if you intend to succeed.” While it’s easy enough to do this in your work environment, day in & day out – you can forget to do the same in your personal life.

Wanting to take the time to re-discover myself from the inside out & re-define what I aspire to be is the main reason for starting a blog now. Navigating change should really be a conscious effort. Most Moms deal with daily situations almost on auto-pilot. Live more in the moment & understand the ramifications of every decision forcing you to be more pro-active rather than feeling controlled & reactive. To become an all-around change agent is a 2010 goal.

“Faith, Focus, Finish” – Larry Fitzgerald

Life tosses out distractions and diversions daily – an e-mail, a request from your husband, child, extended family or friend can take valuable time away, from that which you had promised to yourself. Maintaining my focus is critical to this journey.

No comments: