Sunday, May 29, 2011

Spring Plantings - Triumph over Winter

It's Memorial Day Weekend & the Garden Center & Mpls Farmer's Market were packed with people ready to stock up on things for their Spring planting.

  Half the fun for me is building new arrangements each year.   
No offense if you prefer the pre-made variety.  
;  )

 I started my floral containers a few weeks back, but added a couple more elements this afternoon to each of the pots.




Adding to the things I bought at the Farmers Market on the Nicollet Mall last Thursday I completed 90% of what I wanted to plant today:

Sweet Basil, Lemon Basil, Spearmint ~ Alpine Strawberries & Junebearing Strawberries

 Arugula, Buttercrunch Lettuce, Bistro Blend Lettuce & Parsley

Red & a Mixed Variety of Bell Peppers

Heirloom Tomatoes

Rosemary & Thyme

Nothing quite as satisfying as kicking Winter to the curb for a while & enjoying the textures, smells & color in your garden! We already have chives in another area in the backyard.  It would also be fun to find a place to plant pumpkins. However, a few more tomato plants & perhaps some sugar snap peas (curious to try) & my deck garden will be complete - "out of reach" for the numerous critters that frequent our backyard.

What are some of the things you love to plant in your gardens each year?


No comments: