Sunday, September 25, 2011

Stream of Consciousness Sunday ~ The Chef Within Me

It's Week 11 of my Stream of Consciousness Sunday posts. So I'm not sure about the other working Moms out there, but I'm exhausted at the end of the workday & most of the time I am not sure what I'm cooking for dinner until I figure it out on the drive home.  

Before we had Munchkin I used a rotation of about 24 different meals that my husband & I both enjoyed. Now that we have a preschooler, who is a very good eater - don't get me wrong but when it comes to his main meals he's a very clean eater. He is also very much like my father was when I was growing up - he's a straight protein & carbohydrate kid. Dad would never eat a hot dish or casserole as some people call them.

Munchkin loves roasted or Grilled Chicken, Pork Tenderloin, Pulled Pork, BBQ Spare Ribs, Beef Roast, Salmon, Spaghetti or simple Soft Tacos.  He'll also eat Chili, Ham Steak, Butternut Squash Soup and Veggie Stirfry. He loves Potatoes - mashed or roasted, plain Brown, Wild or Spanish Rice. Simple Salads & Veggies are also okay. Fresh Fruit we add at almost every meal.

What he doesn't like to eat yet are some of my most favorite things to cook, like Lasagna, Enchilada Casserole, Chicken & Dumplings, Chicken Wild Rice Soup, Beef Stroganoff, Tuna Casserole, Chicken Parmesan, Cheesy Potatoes and so many other things I might prepare ahead of time at a place like "Let's Dish". He might also be the only kid alive who won't eat Macaroni & Cheese - and I only make the homemade variety. 

http://pinterest.com/mrobin032009/
So I find myself obsessing over my cookbooks & all the new things I'd love to make that I find on Pinterest. My almost month long rotation of meals is reduced to about a 2 week rotation & it's getting a bit boring.

I know it's a matter of time & he's want to eat more things, but until then I need to stay motivated to plan our meals a week in advance.  My husband & I were a bit spoiled during the time I was staying at home looking for work - I had a ton of time to plan meals.

My time is up & my rant is done, but I'm curious what you do to encourage your kids to try new combined foods. When did you see them start to want to eat everything on your normal menus?
 
This was my 5 minute Stream of Consciousness Sunday post. It’s five minutes of your time and a brain dump. Want to try it? Here are the rules…

Set a timer and write for 5 minutes only.

§         Write an intro to the post if you want but don’t edit the post. No proofreading or spellchecking. This is writing in the raw.

§         Publish it somewhere. Anywhere. The back door to your blog if you want. But make it accessible.

§         Add the Stream of Consciousness Sunday badge to your post.

§         Link up your post at all.things.fadra

§         Visit your fellow bloggers and show some love.

5 comments:

Gabriela said...

My almost 9 year old is finally starting to open up his mind and his palette to try new things. He hasn't ever liked vegetables and wouldn't even touch it if it had been near vegetables because it had been "infected". Slowly but surely...

Julie Jordan Scott said...

it is tough. I want to start a new diet plan for myself but the thought of being a short order cook (almost) immediately shuts me down.

Here's to more experimentation and play... soon!

Big hugs from your buddy at #SOCSunday!

Good Girl Gone Green said...

My daughter will be 1 in a month; she still nurses and eats only fruit and veggies really as well. I am not looking forward to having to maybe give up some of my fave meals though.....

Rachee said...

My kid has a dairy allergy and is as finicky as a cat. I was only doing the same tired menu but she has recently asked for fish and by golly that is what we are going to be having.
Sometimes I just make it and she gets what she gets, SOmetimes its a little more input from her.

all.things.fadra said...

I struggle with this so much. My son complains about anything that isn't a cheeseburger or peanut butter and jelly. I try so hard to get him to eat new things. I make him try it but he just doesn't like it. That said, he does do well with casseroles and one dish meals and he definitely likes meat (probably over carbs).

I try to make dinner that we all like and will eat but I miss our exotic foods (we love Thai). Part of me wonders if I should just give him kid food so we can eat what we want and maybe his palate will develop a little.