Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Late Morning Wakeup Call

It was not our typical morning.  My son was extra tired from the absence of naps on a weekend packed with activity.  I let him sleep in with hopes of a smooth transition at daycare. I took a few extra minutes to make my lunch & loaded up the car all before my son woke up.  Well we all know the best laid plans usually turn out differently in the end.  The drop-off was still a teary one and I ended up missing four express buses.

I typically see something unexpected when I'm on a different timetable. Today it was a cute young Amish Family - a couple & their preteen son, in typical dress, waiting for a bus to go to the Mall of America of all places. Sometimes when you first meet a person, you may have a preconceived notion about who they are and what they are all about? At least until you get to know them better, then your opinion changes. When that fifth express bus drove up, it had a different destination & numbers scrolling along the digital sign from my usual ride. 

Thank goodness for that cute Amish family putting me in the right mindset to believe that somehow I didn't have all the facts. I was busy writing this post and totally missed the driver changing the sign's numbers to match my destination. The long line of people who got on the bus ahead of me must have known the driver's routine. Had I not second-guessed why there were so many people getting on that bus heading for a strange part of town, I would have missed express bus number five too!

Perhaps I had this experience in the start of the week to get me thinking in some new ways. It was a late morning wakeup call. My eyes are open a bit wider & my ears tuned in more closely to the conversations & stimuli around me.  There are probably a few important lessons to be learned along the way.

No comments: